Friday, May 23, 2008

Thoughts about Fasting...



Usually the purpose of fasting that we think about is giving up food or other good things for something better----for a spiritual reason...drawing closer to God and his will for our lives.

But what about another view of fasting? Would this be possible?

What if "fasting" {dependence} on God became such a part of my life that even though I would be fulfilling my duties; walking daily through life, I would be doing it in a "detached" way? Just as Paul said in the scriptures…"Everything is lawful… but I will not be bound by anything". I Cor. 6:12

What if I could have an attitude of "attachment" to the things of God and a "detachment" to the things of the world? Could I become so attached to Jesus that all strongholds would end and I could walk in victory?

Fasting represents the attitude of detachment from the things of time and sense. Prayer represents an attitude of attachment to the things of God and the spiritual world that we can't see with our earthly eyes.

In other words if I could grow in Christ – have the "mind" of Christ and do a great job of fulfilling life's demands but in a "detached" state of mind. A mind ever focused on Christ living in me; guiding me and calming me each step of the day.

By taking every thought captive for Christ I could start trusting God to lead me through each moment of the day. Wouldn't that be the ultimate spiritual formation and growth to be like Christ?

Then I could live in such a way as to have that peace that passes all understanding! I believe it is possible.

It may be that in order to reach that height of growth I have to start with the usual designated time of "fasting & prayer". Through those baby steps, I could proceed to a more in-depth Christian walk. That in-depth walk could gain the “peace that passes all understanding” as a benefit of the normal times of "fasting and prayer".

This ultimately becomes a reality when we totally trust our Lord Jesus Christ every day…every moment.

In pursuit peace and holiness...

-- Jo GowerJoGoPray Ministries"My house shall be called a House of Prayer for All Nations." Mark 11:17; Isaiah 56:7 www.ourchurch.com/member/j/jogopray

The song "Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus" is in my heart!  What a great thought nothing can stand in our way, no battle scars ...